Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing Discuss products, methods and tips

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-24-13, 02:08 PM   #1
LOHpilot
CCDV Club Member

LOHpilot is on a distinguished road
C6 Oil Pressure Release Valve Sticking

I want to post this in the event this may happen to a C6 owner in the future.

This past Friday, I had my Vette detailed at my house. I moved the car out of the garage to be washed and then moved back in to have it waxed and detailed. Afterwards, I moved the car out of the garage to do the final work and inspection and for the detailer to take some pictures of his handy work. When I started the car I had a "Low Oil Pressure" indication on the information panel and the HUD, and a zero indication on the oil pressure gauge. After the final work was completed, I moved the car back into the garage and I had the same indications as just described. This is not good -- if I had been flying, my emergency procedures would be "Land as soon as possible!"

I called Fred Beans Chevy in Doylestown and gave my story to the service manager. He told me to call 1-800-CHEVUSA and then call to schedule an appointment at the dealership. Monday morning a flatbed tow truck took my car to Fred Beans.

I was called Monday afternoon by service manager to tell me of a GM service bulletin (PIP4158G dtd Jun 10, 2013, superseding PIP4158F) applying to my vehicle for a low oil pump pressure due to sticking pressure relief valve. There are other V-8 engines that this bulletin applies to from 2007 to 2013. Vehicle and engine models are too numerous for me to list at this time.

The recommendations/instructions of the bulletin are, "If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped). Clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern."

If this was not covered under warranty one may expect a cost of over $1,300 out of pocket. My car had 1,270 miles when this occurred. Overall, my experience with Fred Beans Chevy is very positive.
LOHpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13, 04:38 PM   #2
Bob Weiss
CCDV Club Member

Bob Weiss is an unknown quantity at this point
What year C-6. Is it an LS3?

Bob
NCM Founding Member and Past Ambassador
CCDV Life Member
Bob Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13, 04:55 PM   #3
LOHpilot
CCDV Club Member

2013 LS3. The bulletin covers all Corvettes from 2007 to 2013.
Old 07-24-13, 08:50 PM   #4
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
A CCDV member that does not use Steve Spencer at Bryner???

You need to forget about Fred Beans and learn about Bryner and Steve Spencer.. You'll be glad you did..

Ask around the club..

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13, 11:27 PM   #5
LOHpilot
CCDV Club Member

Fred Beans is 2.5 miles from my house.
Old 07-25-13, 10:44 AM   #6
Bob Weiss
CCDV Club Member

I presume alot cheaper if you are paying for the flat bed.

Steve Spencer is the best!
CCDV Life Member
Old 07-25-13, 04:11 PM   #7
LOHpilot
CCDV Club Member

I'm new to the club and this is my first Corvette. I called 1-800-CHEVUSA for the GM road assistance program who paid for the flatbed. Will Bryner give me a van shuttle both ways being 17 miles to my south? Will I have a van shuttle in the future or will I need to depend upon my wife to pick me up and take me back? The service folks at the front desk and the maintenance did a professional job, so who am I to complain? It is more to me a matter of convenience and logistical planning than to go to where and with whom I don't know. I will go to Beans in the future simply because the way I was treated and the way the problem was quickly diagnosed and resolved.

You may be correct that Steve at Bryner is a wizard with Corvettes and that there is a discount associated being a club member, but I need to go where I can easily resolve maintenance issues.

No worries.
Old 07-25-13, 06:52 PM   #8
Bob Weiss
CCDV Club Member

No Problem, I certainly understand the logistics thing and I am not sure that Bryner would take you back and forth to Doylestown. Nothing like having the dealer close by.

Glad you were able to get it fixed quickly and professionally. Thanks for the heads up!

I have a 2011 LS3 so I will watch it carefully.

Bob
CCDV Life Member

Last edited by Bob Weiss; 07-25-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 07:03 PM   #9
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOHpilot View Post
I'm new to the club and this is my first Corvette. I called 1-800-CHEVUSA for the GM road assistance program who paid for the flatbed. Will Bryner give me a van shuttle both ways being 17 miles to my south? Will I have a van shuttle in the future or will I need to depend upon my wife to pick me up and take me back? The service folks at the front desk and the maintenance did a professional job, so who am I to complain? It is more to me a matter of convenience and logistical planning than to go to where and with whom I don't know. I will go to Beans in the future simply because the way I was treated and the way the problem was quickly diagnosed and resolved.

You may be correct that Steve at Bryner is a wizard with Corvettes and that there is a discount associated being a club member, but I need to go where I can easily resolve maintenance issues.

No worries.
If logistics is most important, then I agree with your decision.
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 02:23 PM   #10
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

oy-vette is on a distinguished road
I too take my corvette to Fred Beans Chevrolet in Doylestown. They match the discount that I get at Bryner Chevrolet as a CCDV club member. Spencer was out for quite a while and I found Fred Beans to be just as good. I use Spencer when it is an abnormal issue but for convenience, Fred Beans is just as good and will honor the 10% discount for service being a CCDV member.
oy-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 10:51 PM   #11
LOHpilot
CCDV Club Member

Thanks for the tip. So far I have only needed to have my first warranty item resolved, but I am now armed with the knowledge that they will honor the club discount.
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
oil, pressure, release, sticking, valve