Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing Discuss products, methods and tips

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-31-11, 08:15 PM   #1
Jeffrey
CCDV Club Member

Jeffrey is on a distinguished road
Paint Question

I have been looking at a few older corvettes. Found one that I like, however the color was changed from the original. Any idea what a professional paint job would run to get her back to her original color? Any recommendation on a body shop in the Bucks County area that does good work?

Thank you!

Jeff
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:01 AM   #2
Joel Fellman
Club Historian

Joel Fellman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

What year corvette? You're probably talking $5,000. on up to $15,000. depending on the amount (strip to gel coat, stress cracks/body damage, etc) & quality of the work. For a quote, contact club members, Dennis Winokur at Alan's Collison Center = 215-677-7773 and / or Sean Farrell at The Vette Shop = 215-322-9590. I can only vouch for Alan's that they do great work but I've never had any work done at the Vette Shop. I'm sure others will give their suggestions.
Old 08-01-11, 09:53 AM   #3
Bob Weiss
CCDV Club Member

Bob Weiss is an unknown quantity at this point
What year and what Color was the car originally and what is it now. If the paint is nice and a good color that was available in the year the car was built I would not necessarily be so fast to repaint. Dennis Winokur and Bob at Alan's Collision on Red Lion Rd Just inside NE Phila from Huntingdon Valley do great work. They are Both Corvette guys so they know the drill.

Bob
NCM Founding Member and Past Ambassador
CCDV Life Member
Bob Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:46 PM   #4
Bill Burkholder
Web Site Administrator

Bill Burkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
$4-$5k Driver
$6-$8K Show driver
$12-$20 non driver show,+ 6K for trailer,+ 30K for a truck to tow it. Total almost $60K
98/99/00/01/02 Recording Secretary
2000 Artic White FRC (only 315)

BPP Vortex Ram Air & Power Duct, B&B PRT's, Kirban shifter & cueball, Optima Yellow Top, PIAA1100x Fog/Driving lights, C6 Z0-6 chrome wheels, 265x35x18/305x30x19 Pilot PS-2's , lowered on stock bolts, 2004 Sport Seats, Euro tail lights, "clear corners", ZAINO, 12 Pre Set FM Stations, E-Z Pass, Rain-X
Bill Burkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 06:48 PM   #5
Rick and Arleen Ball
CCDV Club Member

Rick and Arleen Ball
Pretty close Bill.
When I had the 65 convt redone dismantled the vette, stripped by hand using no chemicals. New Gelcoat and repaint (show quality) That was $11,000. And it doesn't stop there. It snowballs. New paint. Then it's new Chrome, then weatherstripping, new top. OMG! The Madness never ends.
Then the Vette wasn't fun to drive anymore. Worrying about chips and scratches took all the enjoyment out of the Vette. So it was sold.

Jeff,
If you like the car and the color just drive it and enjoy it.
Take it from someone who knows.
Rick
Rick and Arleen Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 09:07 PM   #6
thoyer
CCDV Club Member

thoyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Arleen Ball View Post
Pretty close Bill.
Then the Vette wasn't fun to drive anymore. Worrying about chips and scratches took all the enjoyment out of the Vette. So it was sold.
Rick
Agree.

I went through this with a SS-454 Chevelle I did years back. Spent several years getting it done. After 10 coats of lacquer, wet sanded between each coat, the paint looked like glass. I was afraid to drive it anymore. The only time it saw the road was for a show or a cruise night as long as there was no rain in the forecast. I almost cried the day I saw the first rock chip.

Some people are not bothered by these things, but I am. I still cringe when I find a new chip on my C6 (there are 7 and I know where each one is............ sad, sick, demented, I don't know........)

One of the things I like about my C3 is that it looks good from 5 feet, but the paint is old and has its issues upon close inspection. For now I don't think twice about driving it, but I know there is a body off in the future for it once I get the kids through school.

Do your research, visit different paint shops, talk to others that have had their car done. Ask what they liked about the job and what they would have done differently. While you are doing all of that drive the heck out of the car and enjoy it.

One other thing to consider is if you are going to ever have the car judged. If you are, then there are other things to take into consideration like paint type, sheen, door jambs, etc....... A good Vette shop will know all about this and steer you in the right direction based on what YOU want to do with YOUR car.

Tom
2007, Z06, Lemans Blue http://s21.photobucket.com/user/tmh454/library/2007
thoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 01:23 PM   #7
Jeffrey
CCDV Club Member

Jeffrey is on a distinguished road
Thank you!

Wow, such great responses and terrific advice. The Corvette in question is a 1975 Coupe. She was originally blue, but was re-painted many years back to a bright red. The red is nice, but not the original color which is why I am thinking about making the purchase and then taking her back to her original color.

Now, after so many excellent responses, I have a lot to consider.

Maybe, I just buy her and enjoy her in her current state.

Thank you all.

Jeff
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 01:53 PM   #8
Rick and Arleen Ball
CCDV Club Member

Rick and Arleen Ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Wow, such great responses and terrific advice. The Corvette in question is a 1975 Coupe. She was originally blue, but was re-painted many years back to a bright red. The red is nice, but not the original color which is why I am thinking about making the purchase and then taking her back to her original color.

Now, after so many excellent responses, I have a lot to consider.

Maybe, I just buy her and enjoy her in her current state.

Thank you all.

Jeff
Very Good idea Jeff!
Color changes aren't cheap.
You could end up having more in the Vette than it's worth after buying it and re-painting it. Another route you can take is shopping around for a Vette that's the color you like.
If you buy the Red Vette.
Go out and enjoy it.
Good luck with making your decision
Rick and Arleen Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
paint, question