CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot"

Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot" Service, performance, modifications, restorations and repairs

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-22-08, 01:11 PM   #21
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Mike02z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Insane
Mike, you may want to consider a heat blanket for the tunnel as the heat from the headers warms the cockpit. Whenever I've done headers and exhaust, I've also changed plugs and the coil pack wires. You can find one of my posts on a 2003 with dyno figures pre and post...all done at Berrel Auto with Dale Cherry tuning. 215-675-8515. Good luck!
I would typically change my plugs and wires when having this kind of work done but my car has 850 miles on it so I think I'll pass this time. I'm looking for a tunnel plate to help with the heat but I would need ARH to install it while the exhaust is down. I'm not sure if they will be willing to do it or not.
Regards,
-Mike
Mike02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 01:30 PM   #22
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

hcvone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z
I would typically change my plugs and wires when having this kind of work done but my car has 850 miles on it so I think I'll pass this time. I'm looking for a tunnel plate to help with the heat but I would need ARH to install it while the exhaust is down. I'm not sure if they will be willing to do it or not.
Regards,
-Mike
I would change the plugs for sure, my last 3 C5's the gap was from .040 to .130, and that was all with less than 1000 miles on them, they ran ok, but much better after the plugs were replaced.

Web Sitehcvind.com
hcvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 09:17 PM   #23
yankintx

yankintx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
John,
On an LS3 I'm hearing about 20-25 HP for headers, high flow cats and an X-pipe. I believe with a tune I can add another 10-12 HP. I'm also adding a Callaway Honker Cold Air intake which should add another 7-12 HP. I'm hoping for a total of 30-35.

The NPP is a nice compliment to the work I'm having done although I suspect with the NPP's open the car is going to be MUCH louder after the work is done. Keep in mind what I'm having done takes you right up to the NPP pipes. Everything forward will be replaced.

I'm really looking forward to Carlisle when the headers and tune will be done. I'll be putting the Honker on either this weekend or the following depending on how hot it is. No way I'm working in 95 degree heat.
Just curious...with all those performance mods I figure it's gonna cost in the mid 3k range and the hp gains may be 40 max? Why don't you just go to ECS and supercharge it for about 8k and get 200+ hp gains?
That's something I'm considering doing and want to hear some reasons why i shouldn't do it..
Old 07-25-08, 07:06 AM   #24
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankintx
Just curious...with all those performance mods I figure it's gonna cost in the mid 3k range and the hp gains may be 40 max? Why don't you just go to ECS and supercharge it for about 8k and get 200+ hp gains?
That's something I'm considering doing and want to hear some reasons why i shouldn't do it..
Warranty is the biggest reason many owners limit their mods, most dealers will not give you a problem with headers and an air intake, with a supercharger your engine, trans and rear will not be covered, and many just do not want to spend the money.

Web Sitehcvind.com
Old 07-25-08, 09:03 AM   #25
yankintx

yankintx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvone
Warranty is the biggest reason many owners limit their mods, most dealers will not give you a problem with headers and an air intake, with a supercharger your engine, trans and rear will not be covered, and many just do not want to spend the money.
The warranty reason is a good enough reason not to I guess.

Last edited by yankintx; 07-26-08 at 08:36 AM.
yankintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 09:09 AM   #26
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
Quote:
The warranty reason is a good enough reason not too I guess.
I don't know maybe I just got lucky. I put a blower on my Vette when it only had 8,000 miles and have had no regrets or engine problems. The only issue I had was with the rear and that didn't happen till I put 345s on the back.
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 11:58 AM   #27
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
John,
My Callaway intake cost me 499, the headers with cats and an xpipe are 1895 installed and the ECS "carlisle" tune is 149 so I'm looking at 2543. There is a huge difference between 3k and 8k and even with the 8k blower you should do the mods I'm doing before the SC anyway.The SC need the better breathing of an air intake and headers.

If I had the money I'd probably still do things in the order I'm doing them in which is Air Intake, headers, tune, then either cam and heads or SC. The SC is a tough call because I'd really prefer to have a forged block first. The SC adds crazy HP and at 600+ I wonder how many miles I'd get on the stock bottom end.

Last edited by Mike02z; 07-25-08 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-25-08, 12:02 PM   #28
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
John,
My Callaway intake cost me 499, the headers with cats and an xpipe are 1895 installed and the ECS "carlisle" tune is 149 so I'm looking at 2543. There is a huge difference between 3k and 8k and even with the 8k blower you should do the mods I'm doing before the SC anyway.The SC need the better breathing of an air intake and headers.

If I had the money I'd probably still do things in the order I'm doing them in which is Air Intake, headers, tune, then either cam and heads or SC. The SC is a tough call because I'd really prefer to have a forged block first. The SC adds crazy HP and at 600+ I wonder how many miles I'd get on the stock bottom end.
It depends on how bad you get on it, if you take it to the track, and how lucky you are to how long a stock bottom end will last.

Web Sitehcvind.com
Old 08-21-08, 06:46 PM   #29
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Well I completed all the work on my car. The first thing I did was dyno the car completely stock to get a base line. Here is the dyno graph...

Yes, the numbers are surprisingly low for an LS3. We did 3 pulls and they were all identical for the most part. My car only had about 900 miles on it when these runs were done.

I then installed a Callaway Honker air box, ARH LT headers w/CATs, 160 degree T-stat, Elite Engineering tunnel plate and had the car tuned by ECS. Here are the results...

Not much else I can say except the car feels like a totally different car. it pulls much harder than it did before. The only thing I'm semi sad about is that I used to leave the NPP exhaust open 90% of the time. I loved the tone of the exhaust. Now I can't leave it open as it is just too loud and the drone at 45-65 is just insane. With the NPP closed it is still to quiet. I guess I'll be shopping for a new exhaust system soon. For now I just have to live with the quiet exhaust closed until it hits 3500 RPM when all hell breaks loose

Thanks for all your input!

P.S. Oh, I can't say enough good things about ECS. They came close enough to the price I got directly from ARH that it was not worth waiting to have this done at Carlisle. The shop only works on C5 and C6 vettes, the entire team is very knowledgable and friendly and they explained everything they were doing the whole install. Very clean, professional shop and I plan on using them again when I make future mods. I did opt for a full dyno tune rather than a basic tune but it was worth every penny and Doug from ECS made me a great deal on my whole job.

Last edited by Mike02z; 08-21-08 at 06:51 PM.
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
gears, headers