CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot"

Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot" Service, performance, modifications, restorations and repairs

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-09-08, 11:08 AM   #1
SLAPSHOT
CCDV Club Member

SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road
aftermarket engine programs

As Glenn stated a week ago that GM is coming out with a bulletin pertaining to aftermarket engine calibrations is true pip4386 just released 4/8/08 advising how to get info from pcm to compare to what program GM is using to take photo's etc. and that repairs to driveline will NOT be covered under new car warranty so be careful.
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 07:29 PM   #2
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

C5pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the update Steve.

You said "new car warranty", how about the GMPP?

Seriously, it's too late for some people. This was a bold move by GM, but it may not work out for them in the long run. In the grand scheme of things I doubt the system was abused enough to warrant this approach. Any savings GM makes will trickle down to the dealers as a loss, IMO.

Dealers can say goodbye to a lot of major rebuilds they enjoyed in the past. It's going to be difficult to compete with a small shop with lower hourly rates when people begin having more out of pocket expenses. It will also pave the way for more tuner applications aimed at fooling the GM scanner down the road. GM should have just kept it under their hat and denied coverage on a one by one basis based on the severity of the loss and how severe the abuse.

It also means GM could lose tons on GMPP sales. How many people will buy a GMPP when they can buy a third party plan (cheaper) and take their cars to any shop without the new scanner? By having the new tool, dealers are shooting themselves in the foot.

In the end, I'm wondering what their stance will be for known issues, such as any TSB related to the driveline. Will known problems be covered? Will unknown problems be reimbursed if someone went elsewhere for a repair that was originally uncovered by GM? I'm well aware of the "gotta pay to play" rule. I'm concerned with things breaking that aren't directly due to a modification but by pure coincidence.

I feel sorry for all of us. It's not the dealers fault this happened. I'd guess a good portion of enthusiasts aren't going to be persuaded to change the way they enjoy their vehicles. But it's a shame that GM enjoys all the press coverage from people who mod their cars and make history for GM, only to turn their backs on them later. I hope I'm wrong Steve but I think this effects you just as much (if not more) than us. Time will tell.

Obviously, none of this changes the fact we appreciate your continued excellent service. We know you've always done everything you could to satisfy your customers. Now you just have to do it with one arm tied behind your back. We understand.
C5pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 08:01 PM   #3
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
I could never figure out how Dodge could warrant an SRT-4 when everyone who buys them are kids who abuse and beat the living shit out of them....

Z06 Corvettes are much different because everyone who can afford them are old farts like Glenn!!!

I put a blower on my 03 Vette at 8k miles. I knew if I had a motor trouble I would have a warranty problem. GM replaced my air conditioner compressor after there was a problem with the clutch.

It now sounds like GM could say the problem like an air conditioner compressor could be because of engine modifications and the engine spun too fast??? I don't think so... GM and their dealers will go out of business if they don't take care of their repeat customers.
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 08:10 AM   #4
Mike Campbell
CCDV Club Member

Mike Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
I would guess that GM decided to do this according to their "legal" staff's & its suggestions. I would also guess that, since lawyers are all butt buddies anyway,that the average consumer's lawyers have planned all this to make big bucks in court. There also has to be a "degree of modification" assigned as well. I agree with Joe. We bought these cars to enjoy. If we radically screw up our car,then the onus is on us. If we just tweak it to run better, then are we also screwed? Only time will tell. By the way, the reason that the car's programs are designed to rob power is basically because the manufacturer's lawyers advised them to do so anyway. This is to protect us you know. The whole thing smacks of another "great left wing conspiracy"!!
Mike Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 09:02 AM   #5
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

hcvone is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like there will some new owners with a spare computer, this way they can plug their stock computer back in for service, there are several Vette owners who do that now.

Web Sitehcvind.com
hcvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 09:09 AM   #6
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, Norm, did I ever tell you that you SUCK.

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:34 PM   #7
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

C5pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvone
Looks like there will some new owners with a spare computer, this way they can plug their stock computer back in for service, there are several Vette owners who do that now.
That may not even work. It's not inconceivable that the scan could determine if the ECM is mismatched when compared to data in the other modules. Perhaps if you drove it 100 miles and restarted it a few dozen times, maybe it would clear out any old mismatched codes. Anything's possible, it all depends on how much GM wants to invest into this new "money saver".
C5pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 06:52 AM   #8
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Same topic ongoing at another forum.

This is good reading ======> GM Warranties and aftermarket tuning

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 07:43 AM   #9
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

hcvone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5pilot
That may not even work. It's not inconceivable that the scan could determine if the ECM is mismatched when compared to data in the other modules. Perhaps if you drove it 100 miles and restarted it a few dozen times, maybe it would clear out any old mismatched codes. Anything's possible, it all depends on how much GM wants to invest into this new "money saver".
I have seen it work on a few cars already, you get the standard commuication error, which most cars come from the factory with, and when you disconnect the battery. It's still going to come down to some dealers are better to deal with than others, same way it's always been. I wonder how that black box over ride system that a guy was working on is progressing, I guess that will be the next thing that GM will try to void your warranty with.

Web Sitehcvind.com
hcvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
aftermarket, engine, programs