CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot"

Tech Talk Ask "Slapshot" Service, performance, modifications, restorations and repairs

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-15-13, 05:18 PM   #1
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

oy-vette is on a distinguished road
Service Active Handling System Message on Dash Display

Did anyone ever have an issue with the active handling system message light on the dash for a C6? If so, do you know if there is a fix? Is there a recall for it? What's the best way to proceed on this?
oy-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 07:42 PM   #2
vilant
CCDV Club Member

vilant is on a distinguished road
Own a C4 not a C6, but do you own a scanner or the FSM for your car? They're the 2 most valuable tools for troubleshooting a Corvette or any car for that matter.
1990 ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 08:43 PM   #3
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
A very common sympton is a bad wheel speed sensor. There can be other reasons for Service Active Handling though, ie: A faltering ABS unit, yaw sensors are 2 that come to mind.

Vilant's idea is a good one, hook her up to a scan tool to read the code(s). I have one you are welcome to use. I'll be at the Vets for Vettes Show at Katie O'Donnell's this Saturday. I'll put it in my car. If you're there, we'll check your C6 out right there.

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 09:41 PM   #4
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

Anyone familiar with this part fix?

recall number - 10118 APR 10 Recall
#06-02-35-002B: Stabilitrak/Active Handling Light On, Service Stabilitrak/Active Handling Message on DIC, DTC C0710 Steering
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V172000 NHTSA Action Number: EA09002

Yes GM seems to have a fix. its basically a comb installed to ensure the plug stays tight and connected.

Last edited by oy-vette; 08-15-13 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 09:48 PM   #5
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

Anyone familiar with this recall??? Here's the link:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...g#.Ug2EpfPD99B

Make sure to view the pdf file in this message as well!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCRIT-10V172-2715.pdf (161.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by oy-vette; 08-15-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 08:11 AM   #6
greg1949
CCDV Club Member

greg1949 is on a distinguished road
My 2005 was recalled for this. Had it done at Bryner's. It was free.
greg1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:54 AM   #7
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

I called GM and they told me that my VIN does not fall within the recall. They are going to pick up the cost for the diagnostics for the car ($100) and it will be interesting to see if the same problem codes, and repair diagnosis will apply. If it is the same, GM should be picking up the cost for other Corvette owners where their VIN does not fall within what is spelled out in the recall.
Old 08-16-13, 09:19 AM   #8
Mike Campbell
CCDV Club Member

Mike Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Last year I had the "Check Stability Control" light come on and also "Check Anti Lock Brakes" come on. I ended up at Byrners and had to have the entire module replaced. Unfortunatly my extended warrenty had run out so I paid full price, minus my CCDV discount. I'm just glad I was up there and Spence fit me in. I really don't like anyone else working on my car. However, a couple of months later one day the light came on again briefly. I called my local guy and went and had them run the codes and nothing showed up. Just be aware, it can be the entire module that controls traction control, ABS and stability.
Mike Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 12:12 PM   #9
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell View Post
.............................Just be aware, it can be the entire module that controls traction control, ABS and stability.
I agree, it could..
That happened years ago with my C5. I was glad I had bought the GMPP which cost $845. The repair was covered 100%, otherwise it would have cost $3205..

BUT wheel speed sensors often go bad and will turn on the SAH message, and they are an ez fix..

That ha
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 02:45 PM   #10
Mike Campbell
CCDV Club Member

Mike Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Glennm27: I was glad I had bought the GMPP which cost $845.
Well I did too. It's just that it ran out in January.... Plus I had Spence give me the honor of being the FIRST C6 he replaced !! Isn't that special. Well %$#*?!! to that! However, the C6 was less than half that price.
Mike Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 02:46 PM   #11
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

Well boys and girls, I took my car to Fred Beans Chevrolet in Doylestown (due to convenience) and it turns out that the codes and correction was the same as what the recall spelled out. Even though my VIN was not in the grouping that the recall defined; both GM and the dealership (YES, FRED BEANS CHEVY) stepped up to the plate and fixed the car for ZERO dollars under the recall. What is the bottom line to all of this??? If I wasn't aware of the recall and didn't call GM about it, I probably would have paid out of my pocket for the repair to the tune of $350.00
Calling all 2005-2006 C6 owners with the telescoping steering wheel option, be aware of this situation and get it fixed under the recall if you had the SAH light comes on.

Last edited by oy-vette; 08-16-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 10:55 AM   #12
Paul J.
CCDV Club Member

Paul J. is on a distinguished road
Hey oy-vette,
We talked at the last Cruise Night at Lowes. What is the Model No. of the Pioneer Radio/GPS unit that you showed me in your C6? I looked at the Pioneer display at Best Buy but did not see anything in the $450 range. Went to the Pioneer website and the units they showed all listed around double the 450 number. Can you help with a Model Number?
Thanks.
Paul J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 11:08 AM   #13
oy-vette
CCDV Club Member

Hi Paul:

The Pioneer model that I have is AVIC-X940BT. I think it's been discontinued but I am sure there is the next generation model that you can buy. Here is a link on Amazon. They are still selling it out there.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2811425...Types&var=sbar

The newer model is the AVIC-X950BH. However it looks like the price is in the $625. range.

http://www.caraudiogiants.com/pionee..._store=default

Last edited by oy-vette; 08-22-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 04:14 PM   #14
jack121
CCDV Club Member

jack121 is on a distinguished road
Same prob with my C5...check the harness and ground, my ground was dirty fixed the prob.
jack121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 08:02 PM   #15
VetteLady

VetteLady is on a distinguished road
C6 Service Active Handling System

I had the same message "Service Active Handling System". I took my C6 to the dealer and the recall had already been installed in April of 2010. I bought the "comb" for it (under $2). The messages became more frequent until it happened every time I drove the car. I finally got under the dash and removed the old "comb". The plug connection for the telescoping tilt steering wheel was very sloppy and seemed loose. I removed the electrical tape, cable tie and comb that had been installed and inserted the new comb. What a difference! The new comb was tapered and snapped into place. The old comb was straight and didn't make the connection tighter. The new comb made a significant improvement in the plug connection. I haven't had the error since and it's been about 3 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recall comb 1.jpg (54.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg recall comb 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 11 views)
VetteLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 12:27 PM   #16
SweetThingC6

SweetThingC6 is on a distinguished road
Last weekend while rolli g out of the restaurant lot, my Service Active Handling" came on,No power, the wheels locked up. My recall was fixed back in April 2010 also. My 05 has a cam, supercharger, headers, pipes, MT drag radials.... any ideas on how to stop that msg?
SweetThingC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
active, dash, display, handling, message, service, system