CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > General Discussion > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss and make suggestions on issues (non CCDV related).

Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-25-09, 01:54 PM   #1
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
Thumbs up Four wheel corner alignment report

I had a four wheel corner weight alignment today on my Vette at Phoenix Motor Sports.

They put weights in the car to stimulate my weight. It was aligned with half a tank of fuel. They adjusted the height and then did the alignments then put each tire on an electronic scale and did some more adjustments. It took 2.8 hours to perform the job. The equipment Phoenix uses is very hi-tech.

All I can say is wow. The vette drives like a completely different car. I've never driven anything in my life that tracks so true. I didn't think a corner weight alignment would make much of a difference but boy was I ever wrong.

Norm
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:43 PM   #2
Bill Burkholder
Web Site Administrator

Bill Burkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
Both Bob Rosenberg and I went there to get our alignment, on Glenn Murphy's recommendation and as you said it's like a different car. It doesn't skip around and tracks where you point it. The price is also reasonable for the amount of time it takes to do the job.
98/99/00/01/02 Recording Secretary
2000 Artic White FRC (only 315)

BPP Vortex Ram Air & Power Duct, B&B PRT's, Kirban shifter & cueball, Optima Yellow Top, PIAA1100x Fog/Driving lights, C6 Z0-6 chrome wheels, 265x35x18/305x30x19 Pilot PS-2's , lowered on stock bolts, 2004 Sport Seats, Euro tail lights, "clear corners", ZAINO, 12 Pre Set FM Stations, E-Z Pass, Rain-X
Bill Burkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 03:31 PM   #3
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
I must have just missed you Norm. I was up there this afternoon. I left there about 2:30. I get Kurt to align my car at least once a year, last year twice.

He just aligned mine this afternoon...

Ya gotta love it, huh?

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 06:07 PM   #4
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
Right on. I do love it. Drove around this afternoon. Did some stuff against better judgment that I won't mention but there was a guy who drives a sexed up silver Audi. He thought his car was faster than a little blue Corvette.

My car now feels like I could set up an alarm clock on a straight road ...take a nap and wake up ten minutes later. I am really impressed with the job Captain Kirk did.

He has the equipment, knows what he is doing and is anal about it.
Old 06-25-09, 06:26 PM   #5
Frank Gonzalez

Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Clemmer View Post
Right on. I do love it. Drove around this afternoon. Did some stuff against better judgment that I won't mention but there was a guy who drives a sexed up silver Audi. He thought his car was faster than a little blue Corvette.

My car now feels like I could set up an alarm clock on a straight road ...take a nap and wake up ten minutes later. I am really impressed with the job Captain Kirk did.

He has the equipment, knows what he is doing and is anal about it.
OK, Norm, way to go!! The next step is to try out that alignment at the track. Let me know when you are ready and I will get you an invitation to NJMP.

For the record, it's Phoenix Performance.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:51 PM   #6
Glennm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gonzalez View Post
OK, Norm, way to go!! The next step is to try out that alignment at the track. Let me know when you are ready and I will get you an invitation to NJMP.

For the record, it's Phoenix Performance.

Frank Gonzalez
I'm pretty sure Norm is signed up for the NCM at Millville in July
Old 06-25-09, 10:30 PM   #7
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
Yes I am...I am looking forward to it but my wife isn't real excited <to say the least> about me doing this....I signed up for it then told her about it...the old easier to get forgiveness than permission trick.

The only thing I have to do yet is change my front brakes and reserve a room at a hotel. Captain Kurt gave me all kinds of racing advice today. One of the things he said is stay within your abilities and don't try to keep up with Frank Gonzalez!!!
Old 06-26-09, 06:54 AM   #8
Glennm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Clemmer View Post
Yes I am...I am looking forward to it but my wife isn't real excited <to say the least> about me doing this....I signed up for it then told her about it...the old easier to get forgiveness than permission trick.

The only thing I have to do yet is change my front brakes and reserve a room at a hotel. Captain Kurt gave me all kinds of racing advice today. One of the things he said is stay within your abilities and don't try to keep up with Frank Gonzalez!!!
That's good advice. A bad habit guys get into is following the car ahead of them. You have to drive a or the correct line. I've seen cars going around the track like a train while the front car is taking a terrible line.

Maybe Frank will take you for a lap or two in his car before you ever hit the track yourself. You'll learn alot about the proper line riding with him. Pay attention during those two laps, you'll learn alot. Once you find the right line, it gets so much easier.

Remember this word too, SMOOTH

I'd also suggest you leave your Active Handling ON, at least for the first day..
Old 06-26-09, 07:42 AM   #9
carboman
CCDV Club Member

carboman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
And never try to follow Glenn around the track and if he's behind you immediately give him a point by. There's a certain 430 Ferrari and a 911 driver that can attest that trying to stay ahead of Glenn leads to some time off the tarmac and some very dirty cars Seeing the 430 come in the pits with the driver and car completely covered in dirt was a funny sight.
Married to the greatest woman in the world
carboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:45 PM   #10
TheKomoman
CCDV Club Member

TheKomoman is on a distinguished road
Kurt & the boys at Phoenix do a great job. I sent Mike02Z up there to get his new Gumby's mounted and have his '08 coupe aligned and his report was like Norm's with the car's tracking being transformed. They did an awesome job on my Z as well and I won't be taking it anywhere else for that stuff.
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:56 PM   #11
Frank Gonzalez

Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
That's good advice. A bad habit guys get into is following the car ahead of them. You have to drive a or the correct line. I've seen cars going around the track like a train while the front car is taking a terrible line.

Maybe Frank will take you for a lap or two in his car before you ever hit the track yourself. You'll learn alot about the proper line riding with him. Pay attention during those two laps, you'll learn alot. Once you find the right line, it gets so much easier.

Remember this word too, SMOOTH

I'd also suggest you leave your Active Handling ON, at least for the first day..
I will MAKE SURE that Norm gets one of the best instructors at the NCM event. Right now I'm thinking Steve Landstra, who is learning the course very quickly and drives a smooth line.

NEVER follow the car in front of you (unless Michael Shumaker is driving it). Drive your line and mind your own business. I have seen a car go off, followed by another nut that just drove the exact same flawed line. Go figure...

Finally, anybody from CCDV gets my personal attention and an invitation to ride in my car. Just look for #97 in the paddock.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-26-09, 02:57 PM   #12
Frank Gonzalez

Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
Yes, he is. Senior moment on my part.

Frank Gonzalez
Post New Thread Reply