CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > General Discussion > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss and make suggestions on issues (non CCDV related).


Post New Thread Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-09, 01:54 PM   #1
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member
 
Norm Clemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Green Lane Pa.
Posts: 1,354
Norm Clemmer
Thumbs up Four wheel corner alignment report

I had a four wheel corner weight alignment today on my Vette at Phoenix Motor Sports.

They put weights in the car to stimulate my weight. It was aligned with half a tank of fuel. They adjusted the height and then did the alignments then put each tire on an electronic scale and did some more adjustments. It took 2.8 hours to perform the job. The equipment Phoenix uses is very hi-tech.

All I can say is wow. The vette drives like a completely different car. I've never driven anything in my life that tracks so true. I didn't think a corner weight alignment would make much of a difference but boy was I ever wrong.

Norm
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:43 PM   #2
Bill Burkholder
Web Site Administrator
 
Bill Burkholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Warrington, Pa.
Posts: 3,478
Bill Burkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
Both Bob Rosenberg and I went there to get our alignment, on Glenn Murphy's recommendation and as you said it's like a different car. It doesn't skip around and tracks where you point it. The price is also reasonable for the amount of time it takes to do the job.
__________________
2014/ 2015/ 2016/ 2017 Board Member
05/06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13 Board Chairman
03/04 CCDV President
98/99/00/01/02 Recording Secretary
2000 Artic White FRC (only 315)


BPP Vortex Ram Air & Power Duct, B&B PRT's, Kirban shifter & cueball, Optima Yellow Top, PIAA1100x Fog/Driving lights, C6 Z0-6 chrome wheels, 265x35x18/305x30x19 Pilot PS-2's , lowered on stock bolts, 2004 Sport Seats, Euro tail lights, "clear corners", ZAINO, 12 Pre Set FM Stations, E-Z Pass, Rain-X
Bill Burkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 03:31 PM   #3
Glennm27
Senior Member
 
Glennm27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southampton, PA
Posts: 6,719
Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
I must have just missed you Norm. I was up there this afternoon. I left there about 2:30. I get Kurt to align my car at least once a year, last year twice.

He just aligned mine this afternoon...

Ya gotta love it, huh?
__________________
Glenn R Murphy
2008 Victory Red Z06 Sold
2002 Electron Blue Coupe - Gone, but not forgotten

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 06:07 PM   #4
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member
 
Norm Clemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Green Lane Pa.
Posts: 1,354
Norm Clemmer
Right on. I do love it. Drove around this afternoon. Did some stuff against better judgment that I won't mention but there was a guy who drives a sexed up silver Audi. He thought his car was faster than a little blue Corvette.

My car now feels like I could set up an alarm clock on a straight road ...take a nap and wake up ten minutes later. I am really impressed with the job Captain Kirk did.

He has the equipment, knows what he is doing and is anal about it.
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 06:26 PM   #5
Frank Gonzalez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 136
Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Clemmer View Post
Right on. I do love it. Drove around this afternoon. Did some stuff against better judgment that I won't mention but there was a guy who drives a sexed up silver Audi. He thought his car was faster than a little blue Corvette.

My car now feels like I could set up an alarm clock on a straight road ...take a nap and wake up ten minutes later. I am really impressed with the job Captain Kirk did.

He has the equipment, knows what he is doing and is anal about it.
OK, Norm, way to go!! The next step is to try out that alignment at the track. Let me know when you are ready and I will get you an invitation to NJMP.

For the record, it's Phoenix Performance.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:51 PM   #6
Glennm27
Senior Member
 
Glennm27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southampton, PA
Posts: 6,719
Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gonzalez View Post
OK, Norm, way to go!! The next step is to try out that alignment at the track. Let me know when you are ready and I will get you an invitation to NJMP.

For the record, it's Phoenix Performance.

Frank Gonzalez
I'm pretty sure Norm is signed up for the NCM at Millville in July
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 10:30 PM   #7
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member
 
Norm Clemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Green Lane Pa.
Posts: 1,354
Norm Clemmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
I'm pretty sure Norm is signed up for the NCM at Millville in July
Yes I am...I am looking forward to it but my wife isn't real excited <to say the least> about me doing this....I signed up for it then told her about it...the old easier to get forgiveness than permission trick.

The only thing I have to do yet is change my front brakes and reserve a room at a hotel. Captain Kurt gave me all kinds of racing advice today. One of the things he said is stay within your abilities and don't try to keep up with Frank Gonzalez!!!
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 06:54 AM   #8
Glennm27
Senior Member
 
Glennm27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southampton, PA
Posts: 6,719
Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Clemmer View Post
Yes I am...I am looking forward to it but my wife isn't real excited <to say the least> about me doing this....I signed up for it then told her about it...the old easier to get forgiveness than permission trick.

The only thing I have to do yet is change my front brakes and reserve a room at a hotel. Captain Kurt gave me all kinds of racing advice today. One of the things he said is stay within your abilities and don't try to keep up with Frank Gonzalez!!!
That's good advice. A bad habit guys get into is following the car ahead of them. You have to drive a or the correct line. I've seen cars going around the track like a train while the front car is taking a terrible line.

Maybe Frank will take you for a lap or two in his car before you ever hit the track yourself. You'll learn alot about the proper line riding with him. Pay attention during those two laps, you'll learn alot. Once you find the right line, it gets so much easier.

Remember this word too, SMOOTH

I'd also suggest you leave your Active Handling ON, at least for the first day..
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 07:42 AM   #9
carboman
CCDV Club Member
 
carboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: HV PA
Posts: 4,779
carboman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
And never try to follow Glenn around the track and if he's behind you immediately give him a point by. There's a certain 430 Ferrari and a 911 driver that can attest that trying to stay ahead of Glenn leads to some time off the tarmac and some very dirty cars Seeing the 430 come in the pits with the driver and car completely covered in dirt was a funny sight.
__________________
Founder and CPO (Chief Pouring Officer) of The Liquid Assets Lounge
Host of Boys Night Out Episodes I-XIII
Celebrating the 21st Amendment
Married to the greatest woman in the world
carboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:45 PM   #10
TheKomoman
CCDV Club Member
 
TheKomoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skippack PA
Posts: 404
TheKomoman is on a distinguished road
Kurt & the boys at Phoenix do a great job. I sent Mike02Z up there to get his new Gumby's mounted and have his '08 coupe aligned and his report was like Norm's with the car's tracking being transformed. They did an awesome job on my Z as well and I won't be taking it anywhere else for that stuff.
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:56 PM   #11
Frank Gonzalez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 136
Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
That's good advice. A bad habit guys get into is following the car ahead of them. You have to drive a or the correct line. I've seen cars going around the track like a train while the front car is taking a terrible line.

Maybe Frank will take you for a lap or two in his car before you ever hit the track yourself. You'll learn alot about the proper line riding with him. Pay attention during those two laps, you'll learn alot. Once you find the right line, it gets so much easier.

Remember this word too, SMOOTH

I'd also suggest you leave your Active Handling ON, at least for the first day..
I will MAKE SURE that Norm gets one of the best instructors at the NCM event. Right now I'm thinking Steve Landstra, who is learning the course very quickly and drives a smooth line.

NEVER follow the car in front of you (unless Michael Shumaker is driving it). Drive your line and mind your own business. I have seen a car go off, followed by another nut that just drove the exact same flawed line. Go figure...

Finally, anybody from CCDV gets my personal attention and an invitation to ride in my car. Just look for #97 in the paddock.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:57 PM   #12
Frank Gonzalez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 136
Frank Gonzalez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
I'm pretty sure Norm is signed up for the NCM at Millville in July
Yes, he is. Senior moment on my part.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
alignment, corner, report, wheel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Year's Eve is right around the corner!!! pro69 Upcoming Activities & Events 1 11-30-06 01:09 PM
Alignment aerie1761 C3 Specific Tech Talk 4 07-26-04 11:55 AM
C5 Alignment Al Betz C5 Specific Tech Talk 3 07-01-04 07:01 PM
New best & ATCO report 3/23/04 YO-EL Racing 13 03-26-04 01:27 PM
ATCO report 10/7 YO-EL Racing 16 10-10-03 04:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.