CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > General Discussion > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss and make suggestions on issues (non CCDV related).

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-20-08, 01:24 PM   #21
Mike Campbell
CCDV Club Member

Mike Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Glenn & the "Liquardo's "are correct !! By the way, who cares how the heck we spell "Maguires"....it's like spelling DOOM ...."Obama" or "Chaves".....it's ALL the same. What is, is....
Mike Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 01:47 PM   #22
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

hcvone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell View Post
Glenn & the "Liquardo's "are correct !! By the way, who cares how the heck we spell "Maguires"....it's like spelling DOOM ...."Obama" or "Chaves".....it's ALL the same. What is, is....
DOOM is correct my friend.

Web Sitehcvind.com
hcvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 02:21 PM   #23
carboman
CCDV Club Member

carboman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell View Post
Mike and Carl,

Be careful, you guys are almost sounding like liberals
Married to the greatest woman in the world
carboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 02:21 PM   #24
Joel Fellman
Club Historian

Joel Fellman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

I think we may all (finally) be in agreement there.
And I do agree that Zaino is a great product with great results (see my first post!), I just haven't been exposed to finally getting around to use it (AND yes I know Mark, Glen, Carl, Bill, etc. have all offered to get me started & I thank you). I just don't for whatever reason make the time to get it started. Besides, I think at least the '76 always looks decent and I hardly put any time into cleaning it. A wash on ocassion, wax rarely & a quickie detailer is mostly what it gets. It's held up 32 years - why change? Maybe some day I'll let you guys convince me it's worth making a change.
Joel Fellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 03:30 PM   #25
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

C5pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
I see it everyday, many believe if they can't buy it at Pep Boys it's not any good.
I see it the complete opposite, some people wrongly assume because Zaino is a specialty product and cost more, it must be better.

Besides, I see conflicting info on how good it is compared to others. Most claim ease of application, less needed, lasts longer, etc. If that's the case, why does Marks car need 100 coats of Zaino? Aren't people sending conflicting messages? And before someone say's his car doesn't "need" it, he just likes to over-wax, fine, then let's all accept some of you are fanatics and should take that into account.

The only thing Zaino has proved for sure is that its followers are loyal. That COULD mean it's a fantastic product or, unfortunately it may simply mean they need to justify their own purchase of snake oil. The more who jump on the band wagon the more they are justified spending more, waxing more, ordering more, watching their supply as if it's a drug habit.

Some have claimed they REALLY like the smell... who's to say they're not getting a "fix". It worked for Coke! But seriously, I never claimed one is better than another, it just comes down to convenience and cost, in that order. I don't EVER worry that I'm going to run out of Maguiers and panic because if I use something else I have to start the process of stripping the car all over again.

We may as well be arguing how often we should change our oil. Data supporting both sides and still nothing proven.
C5pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 03:39 PM   #26
carboman
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
I see it the complete opposite, some people wrongly assume because Zaino is a specialty product and cost more, it must be better.

Besides, I see conflicting info on how good it is compared to others. Most claim ease of application, less needed, lasts longer, etc. If that's the case, why does Marks car need 100 coats of Zaino? Aren't people sending conflicting messages? And before someone say's his car doesn't "need" it, he just likes to over-wax, fine, then let's all accept some of you are fanatics and should take that into account.

The only thing Zaino has proved for sure is that its followers are loyal. That COULD mean it's a fantastic product or, unfortunately it may simply mean they need to justify their own purchase of snake oil. The more who jump on the band wagon the more they are justified spending more, waxing more, ordering more, watching their supply as if it's a drug habit.

Some have claimed they REALLY like the smell... who's to say they're not getting a "fix". It worked for Coke!

We may as well be arguing how often we should change our oil. Data supporting both sides and still nothing proven.
There's no "shine scale" that can differentiate one result from another. I've probably put 100 coats on my car but that's over a 4 year span. But I've also used Z5 qand Z2 on my daily drivers that get polished maybe 3-4 times a year and achieved good results. I've tried NXT, Rejex, Adams, Zymnol, Mothers, Griots, and on an on. So far Z2 and Z5 have proven to be the best. As soon as I find something better I'll switch. FYI, on C6 interior plastics and rubber pieces I like Griot's vinyl and rubber spray the best.

I heard a rumor that Zaino is made from opiates so it may be habit forming. I think I saw Bill B. in a dark alley drinking from a bottle of Z8 after the last meeting
Old 10-20-08, 03:40 PM   #27
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
..................... If that's the case, why does Marks car need 100 coats of Zaino?
I'm glad you asked that question. Zaino can be layered to make the shine look even deeper with each coat. Remember my blue C5? It looked (as Marks car does now) like it had an 1/8" of clearcoat on it.... Everyone used to ask me (including you Joe) how my C5 looked so good. Try layering a carnuba wax for deepr shine, you'll just get a hazier haze..

Another thing, who cares what who likes. If whatever you use works for you, then use it.

I was replying only to the Patty's quest for help on the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxy vette View Post
have my first vette and now I really care about what I use instead of what is on sale at pep boys! How do you decide on the best products to use or just go with the hightest recommendation ? if seems everyone has a different opinion I want a product with the best results and the fastest time so I can spend time driving her instead of polishing her also any definitely stay away from products? thanks Patty
She can now take all this info, maybe look at some of the cars mentioned and make her decision.

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 03:56 PM   #28
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
Another thing, who cares what who likes. If whatever you use works for you, then use it.

She can now take all this info, maybe look at some of the cars mentioned and make her decision.
I think that's what we're all saying. But when Joel and I spoke up for another product it's like we supported Hitler or voted for Hillary or something.
Old 10-20-08, 04:04 PM   #29
carboman
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
I think that's what we're all saying. But when Joel and I spoke up for another product it's like we supported Hitler or voted for Hillary or something.
Yo Napoleon, why bring dictators into this Besides, we all know you love Hillary. It's OK to say so, we won't make fun of you.

As for Joel, Zaino may not be the best for the old paint on his car anyway.

Last edited by carboman; 10-20-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 04:32 PM   #30
Glennm27

Quote:
All I had to to say in reply to Joel was about is apparent ineptness (is that a word) to use the product. THAT needed to be said for the origional poster to note. This stuff does NOT need a lot of your time and is NOT hard to use. I have used them all over the years on plenty of cars, and many of those cars NOT my own. Joel is telling the person you need to invest lots of your time and effort, YET he has never used it... THAT's not much help to the person asking about what to use and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Fellman View Post
And I do agree that Zaino is a great product with great results (see my first post!), I just haven't been exposed to finally getting around to use it (AND yes I know Mark, Glen, Carl, Bill, etc. have all offered to get me started & I thank you). I just don't for whatever reason make the time to get it started.

Nothing is easier to use with great results as Zaino has been for me.

What Joel needs is to learn how to use it and maybe he'd appreciate it, especially since he admittedly is one that does not like to spend much time on cleaning his car.
Quote:
........... I think at least the '76 always looks decent and I hardly put any time into cleaning it. A wash on ocassion, wax rarely & a quickie detailer is mostly what it gets. It's held up 32 years - why change? Maybe some day I'll let you guys convince me it's worth making a change.
Just trying to help the person asking the question..

Last edited by Glennm27; 10-20-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:54 PM   #31
Rick280
CCDV Club Member

Rick280
She probably forgot the question after all that
Old 10-20-08, 08:44 PM   #32
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboman View Post
Yo Napoleon, why bring dictators into this
Oh, so now we're resorting to short jokes. Fine. What's next, you're going to brag about how your kidney stone was bigger than mine? Nice.
Old 10-20-08, 10:55 PM   #33
DanS711
CCDV Club Member

DanS711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
How come most of our Zaino users are retired? Obviously have loads of time to spend washing & waxing?? And wimp? I think not.
Easy there big guy, I use Zaino because I like the whole process: Apply a thin film of Z5, enjoy a cold beer while it drys. Polish it off, enjoy a cold beer. Spray on Z7 to prep for the next coat, have a cold beer, admire the shine while enjoying another beer. On the 2nd coat, two beers between steps and so on and so forth (this is the real reason they only recommend three coats at a time).
You know, I think Joe might be on to something, but I'm thinking it might not be the smell that makes it habit forming.

Seriously, I really do like the Zaino and like Mark I have the Mothers, Griots, NXT, Meguiars and God knows what else in my garage. Buying car care products is like buying fishing rods, you can never have enough!
Old 10-21-08, 03:26 AM   #34
Rick and Arleen Ball
CCDV Club Member

Rick and Arleen Ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS711 View Post
Easy there big guy, I use Zaino because I like the whole process: Apply a thin film of Z5, enjoy a cold beer while it drys. Polish it off, enjoy a cold beer. Spray on Z7 to prep for the next coat, have a cold beer, admire the shine while enjoying another beer. On the 2nd coat, two beers between steps and so on and so forth (this is the real reason they only recommend three coats at a time).
You know, I think Joe might be on to something, but I'm thinking it might not be the smell that makes it habit forming.

Seriously, I really do like the Zaino and like Mark I have the Mothers, Griots, NXT, Meguiars and God knows what else in my garage. Buying car care products is like buying fishing rods, you can never have enough!
So what your saying, is that after your done with your Zaino treatment your legally intoxicated and really shouldn't be driving the Vette!
Rick and Arleen Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 06:43 AM   #35
RichRog
CCDV Club Member

RichRog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS711 View Post

Dan,

Now I know why your car always looks so good, you are spraying car wash in preparation for your next coat of polish!!!!
RichRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 07:29 AM   #36
carboman
CCDV Club Member

Now I understand why when someone asks Dan how long it takes to wash and wax his car answers "half a keg"
Old 10-21-08, 07:30 AM   #37
carboman
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Oh, so now we're resorting to short jokes. Fine. What's next, you're going to brag about how your kidney stone was bigger than mine? Nice.
Size does matter with kidney stones, SMALLER is better!
Old 10-21-08, 01:02 PM   #38
Joel Fellman
Club Historian

Joel Fellman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Dan:
Thank you. You convinced me that the next time I have a week off with nothing to do, I'll get started with the: Z5 to let it dry so I can polish it off. Then spray Z7 to prep for the next coat?? Then Z9???? Then Z21???? Honestly that doesn't sound like fun to me - even with the beer chasers. I personally would prefer to drive the darn things then to be polishing them.
And Glenn: you know I always complimented your Vette because it looked teriffic but I still can't get passed the time you devoted to get it that way. There's a limit to clean & shiny. Adding 100 coats of anything over 4 years still averages to 25 per year - roughly 2 per month. To me that's excessive. I have hobbies other then the Vettes.
OK, who's next?? Fire away!!
Joel Fellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 01:30 PM   #39
carboman
CCDV Club Member

Zaino does help pass the time during the winter months. I turn on the heat in the garage, watch speed channel and get to work. Next thing you know it's spring.
Old 10-21-08, 02:16 PM   #40
Glennm27

Quote:
Dan:
Thank you. You convinced me that the next time I have a week off with nothing to do, I'll get started with the: Z5 to let it dry so I can polish it off. Then spray Z7 to prep for the next coat?? Then Z9???? Then Z21???? Honestly that doesn't sound like fun to me - even with the beer chasers. I personally would prefer to drive the darn things then to be polishing them.
And Glenn: you know I always complimented your Vette because it looked teriffic but I still can't get passed the time you devoted to get it that way. There's a limit to clean & shiny. Adding 100 coats of anything over 4 years still averages to 25 per year - roughly 2 per month. To me that's excessive. I have hobbies other then the Vettes.
OK, who's next?? Fire away!!
Who said I had 100 coats on the blue car? Not me.

It had more like 200 coats in 6 years.

I have a TV in the garage. I watch the Phillies for instance while polishing the car, instead of doing the couch potatoe routine. OR, I applied two coats of Zaino at the Cavalcade, while everyone sat in their beach chairs. Multi-tasking is where it's at...

A coat of Zaino on a Corvette is 30 minutes work, just think of all the time I've wasted... Dammit

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
car, care, products