CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > General Discussion > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Discuss and make suggestions on issues (non CCDV related).

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-03-11, 04:00 PM   #1
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
GM to Upgrade Corvette Factory

From The Wall Street Journal - Tuesday, May 3, 2011

By SHARON TERLEP

DETROITGeneral Motors Co. plans to spend around $100 million to upgrade its Corvette factory in Bowling Green, Ky., people familiar with the situation said, the latest sign that auto maker's penny-pinching days are behind it.
GM North America chief Mark Reuss is expected to announce the investment on Wednesday at the factory. The improvements would be done in time for the next line of Corvettes, not expected until around 2013.
The Corvette's future was never in question. But GM, as it headed into bankruptcy couple of years ago, halted spending on several vehicles programs. In the last year, the company has disclosed plans to invest several billion dollars in its North American factories and rehire thousands of workers.
The auto maker has been regaining sales steam this year; Corvette sales, meanwhile, are up 15% through April from a year ago.
In addition to the factory improvement, the car itself is getting some upgrades. Changes to the 2012 models, which go on sale later this year, include a racing-style spoiler, an upgraded stereo system, and new options that include new racing tires and a carbon-fiber hood. Many of the enhancements are for the high-performance models, but some apply to entry-model Corvettes.

More from Motor Authority.com

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 08:56 PM   #2
TheKomoman
CCDV Club Member

TheKomoman is on a distinguished road
Glad to see they're continuing to invest in the brand that is Corvette.

I listen to the Autoline After Hours podcast every week and read Autoextremist most weeks. He keeps saying that C7 will be another evolutionary step but Reuss promises it will be a short run and C8 will be a big change. He expects 3 C8's - an entry level (FRC?) and "mainstream" C8 and a "supercar" C8. Regardless I'm sure it will be interesting and at least there will continue to be Corvettes!
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 09:16 PM   #3
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
The one change I suspect is to the 5.5L engine. I kind of thought that was going to come as soon as 2012 but that's obviously not going to happen. Maybe next year....

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 09:22 PM   #4
TheKomoman
CCDV Club Member

TheKomoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm27 View Post
The one change I suspect is to the 5.5L engine. I kind of thought that was going to come as soon as 2012 but that's obviously not going to happen. Maybe next year....
A complete reboot wouldn't surprise me either with even smaller displacement 6 cylinder motors with F1 KERS-style or some other electric assist/hybrid power. Electric motors are torque monsters and a Vette with a setup like that GT3 RSR Hybrid could be pretty darned amazing on the track.
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
corvette, factory, upgrade