CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Corvette Discussion > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing Discuss products, methods and tips

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-21-09, 03:53 PM   #21
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Mike02z is on a distinguished road
I have the Griots Machine Polisher which is pretty similar to the Porter Cable but I use it strictly for polishing. I still hand apply Zaino. I can get a very thin coat on in 15-20 minutes and so for me the machine won't really cut my application or removal time. Plus, the polisher is hard to get into tight spots and gets pretty heavy after a while especially when applying multiple coats in one day.
Mike02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 07:01 PM   #22
Bill Burkholder
Web Site Administrator

Bill Burkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
I use my PC for Zaino AIO, then hand apply and buff 1 coat of Z-5. I can do my Caddy in less than an hour.
98/99/00/01/02 Recording Secretary
2000 Artic White FRC (only 315)

BPP Vortex Ram Air & Power Duct, B&B PRT's, Kirban shifter & cueball, Optima Yellow Top, PIAA1100x Fog/Driving lights, C6 Z0-6 chrome wheels, 265x35x18/305x30x19 Pilot PS-2's , lowered on stock bolts, 2004 Sport Seats, Euro tail lights, "clear corners", ZAINO, 12 Pre Set FM Stations, E-Z Pass, Rain-X
Bill Burkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 07:38 PM   #23
Norm Clemmer
CCDV Club Member

Norm Clemmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burkholder View Post
I use my PC for Zaino AIO, then hand apply and buff 1 coat of Z-5. I can do my Caddy in less than an hour.
That ain't happening with a black one....
Norm Clemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 06:24 AM   #24
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

hcvone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Clemmer View Post
That ain't happening with a black one....
I just did a customers black 2010 C6 and all it took was Z-AIO with the Flex machine and a single coat of Z-5.

Web Sitehcvind.com
hcvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 03:14 PM   #25
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

I just bought a new daily driver but the only color the dealer had was black. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get all the swirls in the paint out. So far the best method I have tried is to use my Machine Polisher with Griots Machine Polish #1 then #3 then use Griots "Best of Show Wax". Carboman and I did some tests last night and the Griots filled the remaining swirls more than the Z5. It also gave a better look to the paint. I have been using Zaino for years but on my black car it does not seem to be the best at filling scratches.

Last edited by Mike02z; 08-25-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 08:10 PM   #26
C5pilot
CCDV Club Member

C5pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
You may be moving the polisher too quickly or using too much pressure. Use small overlapping motions and use swirl remover which dissolves as it heats up. Do not move on to another area until those swirls disappear, otherwise all you're doing is grinding the larger particles over new surface leaving new marks. This is EXACTLY what car dealerships do because they "don't have time" to do it correctly. Think of swirl remover as if you were using finer and finer grit sandpaper to smooth a surface. Let the weight of the polisher do the work, don't try to rush it. Good luck.
C5pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 06:09 AM   #27
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I just bought a new daily driver but the only color the dealer had was black. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get all the swirls in the paint out. So far the best method I have tried is to use my Machine Polisher with Griots Machine Polish #1 then #3 then use Griots "Best of Show Wax". Carboman and I did some tests last night and the Griots filled the remaining swirls more than the Z5. It also gave a better look to the paint. I have been using Zaino for years but on my black car it does not seem to be the best at filling scratches.
Mike, wax will always fill or hide swirls better than a synthetic, the problem is carnauba wax is gone after a rain or a wash, and on a daily driver that just does not cut it, on a garage queen you could maybe live with that, but unless you feel like reapplying carnauba every time it rains or you wash you car/truck you are better off fixing your paint and applying something that will give you durability, because every time you are applying and removing you are causing some swirls. If Z-5 is not filling your swirls they are simply too deep, you need to look at your "polishes and your buffing pads, black finishes are a whole different game to make them perfect, I have detailers that just do black cars/trucks, they require a different skill to get the perfect finish.

Web Sitehcvind.com

Last edited by hcvone; 08-26-09 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 09:01 AM   #28
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
Mike, wax will always fill or hide swirls better than a synthetic, the problem is carnauba wax is gone after a rain or a wash, and on a daily driver that just does not cut it, on a garage queen you could maybe live with that, but unless you feel like reapplying carnauba every time it rains or you wash you car/truck you are better off fixing your paint and applying something that will give you durability, because every time you are applying and removing you are causing some swirls. If Z-5 is not filling your swirls they are simply too deep, you need to look at your "polishes and your buffing pads, black finishes are a whole different game to make them perfect, I have detailers that just do black cars/trucks, they require a different skill to get the perfect finish.
Thanks for the advice Carl. I just sent you a PM...
Old 08-26-09, 05:04 PM   #29
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Just an update on my black car detailing....After spending most of today with the buffer I was able to get all the swirls out of the car. 99% of the car is perfect but there are still some small scartches that will not come out. I will hit each one with Z-PC and apply the sealant. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-27-09, 06:17 AM   #30
hcvone
CCDV Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Just an update on my black car detailing....After spending most of today with the buffer I was able to get all the swirls out of the car. 99% of the car is perfect but there are still some small scartches that will not come out. I will hit each one with Z-PC and apply the sealant. Thanks for all the advice.
Mike, what type and color of pads are you using?

Web Sitehcvind.com
Old 08-27-09, 09:47 AM   #31
Mike02z
CCDV Club Member

Orange pads from Griots garage.
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
black, care, daily, driver