CCDV Message Board CCDV Message Board

Go Back   CCDV Message Board > Activities and Events > Racing

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-06-14, 08:28 AM   #1
YO-EL
CCDV Club Member

YO-EL is an unknown quantity at this point
E-town Report 4/5/14 & John Panuzzo Memorial

Yesterday on a clear, brisk & very windy day, we were set for Event 3, and also for the tribute of Corvette Challenge racer & series founder John Panuzzo,
(which was postponed from last week, due to rain).

Initially from Friday's nights rain, at this time of year, there was some seepage onto the track so racing was questionable > part 1.

Due to the gusty winds 1/4 mile racing was questionable, so it was bumped down to 1/8 mile> part 2.

However, due to the moisture & dampness, some of the track electronics were affected and not working, which one? The 1/8 mile one!
So now our race day was up in the air> part 3.

In the midst of the long delay, it was already close to noon, so the Corvettes in attendance went down the track at 5 mph in pairs as a tribute to John Panuzzo, and then went to the parking area to spell out Jpee (John's screen name) as directed by Rob Farley.

All I can say is "SUCCESS", and with John's wife & daughter's present, it made everyone feel good.

I know some of you don't know "Panuzzo", only know of his passing, but John was an "institution" at the Corvette Challenge. A founder of the series since 1999, he NEVER missed an event. Always a jokester, and ready to help the "newbies" there are many Panuzzo stories, but the bottom line was he made everyone around him laugh and will always be remembered.

John passed as a result of injuries sustained in an accident at the track.
He crashed at the the top end, which is very rare.
There is an investigation, but as you can imagine, there are so many factors that come into play, driver error, tire/track conditions, mechanical failure, or a possible medical event with John, no one knows at this time.

Anyway, he will be missed and always remembered, and I'd like to thank Tony & Rose & Glen Murphy for coming out to support the JP memorial.

OK, so back to the racing..
After the tribute we were on, full 1/4 mile racing!!!

As luck would have it, I was able to win my 2nd consecutive Corvette Challenge event, and also went to the Finals of the Modern Muscle event, and just missed taking it home for the double up, breaking out by .01 (11.38 on my 11.39 dial)

I took the stripe by only .004, but on the run before that Final, I was experiencing a little wheel hop at the line, so I bumped my dial from 11.38 to 11.39.. Ugh.. Had I kept it 11.38, I would have won the Modern Muscle too.. Oh well, thats racing, sometimes too much thought is no good. Just go out there & race & dial what you last ran is the key..

Anyway, a long day, but a memorable one to say the least.

Next races are April 19, April 26 & May 17
Maybe pencil in one of those dates & try to see how your car does going full blast down a smooth, prepped, and gorgeous track!!

Yea, I've won a few races.....
CARTEK BUILT LS2 w/ CARTEK 4X PKG!!!!!
2014 Corvette Challenge Series CHAMPION!
2013 Modern Muscle Series CHAMPION!
2012-2011-2010 Corvette Challenge Pro 11.50 Index CHAMPION!

2011 & 2010 Englishtown (NJ) 11.50 Index CHAMPION!

Best 1/4 mile E/T: 10.35 @ 130.45 MPH 1.41 60'

Last edited by YO-EL; 04-06-14 at 03:12 PM.
YO-EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 10:20 AM   #2
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats El on another win. After talking to many of the guys yesterday at the track you are the "One to Beat" this season. So many of the guys spoke very highly of your talents as a drag racer including Reaction Time and your ability to consistently run you numbers dead on.

It was a under sad circumstances that I got to see all the guys I hadn't seen in about 5 years and so sad when we all paraded down the track at 5mph.
RIP JPee. You will be missed. I'll never forget John and what he meant to me personally.

------------------------------------
Linda, "You're Forever in my Heart"
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 05:58 PM   #3
Glennm27

Glennm27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO-EL View Post

In the midst of the long delay, it was already close to noon, so the Corvettes in attendance went down the track at 5 mph in pairs as a tribute to John Panuzzo, and then went to the parking area to spell out Jpee (John's screen name) as directed by Rob Farley.

All I can say is "SUCCESS", and with John's wife & daughter's present, it made everyone feel good!!
Video shot by Rob Farley with a remote controlled Gyro-Copter Cam.

http://youtu.be/PZVYQV897e4
Glennm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply

Tags
etown, john, memorial, panuzzo, report